Monday, July 28, 2008

D'Ya Ever Notice?

LOL No, I haven't died and come back as Andy Rooney. But seriously, did you ever notice that these days, there are more and more words that are combinations of other terms to mean something completely new? Like edutainment. Not sure where I first heard this term, but it's one of those that you may not have heard it before, but you get it immediately. It's educational entertainment. Then there's one of my personal favorites, constarrhea. Due to the IBS, this is one with which I am all too familiar. I cannot claim credit for it, but another one of those I cannot recall where I heard it. I CAN claim credit for introducing the term to my family doctor, who got a chuckle after asking me, "Did you just say CONSTARRHEA?" He promptly recommended daily fiber supplements.

I heard a good one on American Idol this past week: "guyliner." The guy thought it would help him look cool, but he looked as cool as an axe murderer. Maybe he also has a "mangina?" (from Deuce Bigalow) Leeuna shared "wasband" with us the other day. Never heard it put that way, but makes perfect sense. I got a couple of those myself :D

I was reading the paper the other day, and they had one of those "What's out, what's in" lists. Out is eco-tourism, in are "staycations." I also saw a variation on the theme on Corner Gas, where the main character, Brent, went on an imaginary trip through Europe and the Caribbean all while sitting in his lawn chair in front of his business. He called it a "staycation," too. Friends could talk to him, but only in the format of a postcard: Dear Brent: hope you are enjoying your vacation. Was wondering where we keep the extra receipt tape. Love, Wanda. And he would respond in kind. It was trippy. Wonderfully quirky show! If y'all haven't seen it, it comes on WGN at midnight EST, and is set in Saskatchewan, Canada, in a prolly fictional town called Dog River.

I came up with a shorthand for a "wintry mix" of snow and rain, or "snain." As in, "It's snaining again. Roads'll be slicker'n owlpoop come nighttime." Heard not a combo, but a term I hadn't heard in this context a couple weeks ago on Las Vegas. "Muffin-top," and the guy was referring fondly to his now-slim girlfriend's formerly juicy midriff. *grimacing* I didn't need ANY explanation on this one. If ya do, let me know. I'll elaborate.

Lastly (til I think of some more...LOL..this could be my "you might be a redneck" or "here's your sign"), I heard "Christmakkuh" on one of those teen/twentysomething shows. I added some more all-inclusiveness to it, and now the winter hollyday season is "Christmakwanzakkuhstice." Give me some time; I'll work Scientology in there somewhere LMAO

No comments: